San Francisco, March 13 (IANS) On not finding his channel and the video he posted on YouTube, a disgruntled wannabe YouTuber Kyle Long tried to threaten violence at Googles Mountain View, California headquarters, in an attempt to get the tech giant to restore his account.
The 33-year-old drove over 3,300 miles all the way from Maine up to the search-engine giant’s office with three baseball bats in his car, which were later confiscated by the police.
“His relatives admitted that the video and his account had been deleted not by YouTube, but his wife. Concerned about his mental state, she deleted the ‘rambling’ and ‘bizarre’ video,” BuzzFeed News reported on Tuesday.
The relatives added that Long has had a history of mental health issues and became fixated on his get-rich-quick video.
Long got aggressive because he was sure that his ideas would result in the company paying him millions of dollars. On not finding his video on the platform, he planned on talking to Google executives about it.
Because of his “crazy” idea, his wife told him Google or Facebook must have taken it down, the report said.
“Long made general threats of violence towards unknown people if the meeting regarding his YouTube channel didn’t go as he wanted it to,” BuzzFeed quoted a Mountain View police spokesperson as saying.
Last April, a 39-year-old San Diego resident Nasim Aghdam opened fire at the company’s San Bruno headquarters, claiming YouTube had unfairly demonetised and censored her pro-vegan and animal rights videos. Aghdam not only injured three people but also took her own life, the media had reported.