GJM leader condemns CID investigation into Oct 13 incident

[India], Oct 25 (ANI): Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) leader Bimal Gurung on Tuesday condemned the West Bengal government’s directive for a CID investigation into the October 13 encounter between GJM members and West Bengal Police that killed Sub-Inspector Amitava Malik, and appealed for a CBI investigation instead.

“We protest the CID investigation. Instead, I appeal for a CBI investigation because West Bengal government has been exercising dictatorial rule on our party, and it will increase its dictatorial politics through CID,” Gurung said in an audio tape.

In the audio tape, Gurung appealed the Centre and state government for a CBI investigation into the incident as well as into the bomb explosions in Darjeeling, Kalimpong, and other areas of the state.

Gurung also alleged that the incident was part of a conspiracy to frame GJM party, and enforce dictatorial rule.

“We lost 11 people, and appealed for CBI investigation, but no action was taken. Now there is a CID investigation into the death of one person, whose killing was a part of the plan. The 13th October incident was a conspiracy,” Gurung said, adding that local police was also complicit in enforcing dictatorial politics, by creating havoc for GJM members in different parts of the state.

Addressing Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Gurung said, “We are not anti national to demand Gorkhaland. It is within our fundamental right.”

On October 23, probe into the killing of Sub-Inspector Amitava Malik was handed over to West Bengal’s Criminal Investigation Department.

On October 13, an exchange of fire between GJM supporters and West Bengal Police in Darjeeling’s Takvar resulted in the death of Sub-Inspector Amitava Malik, while at least two others were injured.

GJM leader Bimal Gurung was implicated in Malik’s death, with Additional Director General (ADG) of Police, West Bengal, Anuj Sharma stating that Gurung had instructed his cadres to attack police parties and personnel.

Sharma said that acting on the information that Gurung was hiding in the area, the police had conducted raids, during which the GJM supporters fired and pelted stones.

The October 13 violence was the first major incident of violence after the 100-day-long strike was lifted in Darjeeling. (ANI)

Show More

Related Articles