Madrid, June 11 (IANS) Romania’s Simona Halep stayed atop the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings released on Monday with 7,970 points, after she claimed her first Grand Slam title at the French Open.
On Sunday, Halep won the French Open final 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 over US’ Sloane Stephens, who jumped six spots to the fourth with 5,463 points, reports Efe.
Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki and Garbiñe Muguruza of Spain came second and third respectively.
Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina fell to the fifth position, ahead of France’s Caroline Garcia, who had been eliminated by 11th-placed Angelique Kerber from Ronald Garros’ last-16.
Despite her loss at the French Open semifinals, American Madison Keys climbed three places to the 10th, behind her compatriot Venus Williams and the Czech Republic’s Petra Kvitova.
Further down the rankings, Spain’s Carla Suarez fell four spots to the 24th, following her defeat at the French Open second round.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 7,970 points
2. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 6,745
3. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 6,550
4. Sloane Stephens (US) 5,463
5. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 5,205
6. Caroline Garcia (France) 4,970
7. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,685
8. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 4,610
9. Venus Williams (US) 3.971
10. Madison Keys (US) 3,536.