JERUSALEM (Rahnuma) : The Israeli Defense Ministry on Sunday announced it has begun building the overground part of barrier around the blockaded Gaza Strip.
The Defense Ministry, in a statement said, the construction started on Thursday.
“The barrier will be 65 kilometers long and will be six-meter-high, along the border from Kerem Shalom in the south and will be connected to the new sea barrier Israel is building,” it added.
Earlier this year, Israel had announced that the naval barrier meant to stave off sea infiltration is nearing completion, seven months after construction began.
According to the ministry, the overground barrier is part of Israel’s underground smart fence to detect tunnels.
“The border is uniquely and especially suited to threats from the Gaza Strip and will give a comprehensive solution to prevent entry into Israel,” it said.