Leicester City claim emotional win at Cardiff, Liverpool return to top with Arsenal draw

Leicester City claim emotional win at Cardiff, Liverpool return to top with Arsenal draw

LONDON (Rahnuma) :  Leicester City won an emotional victory in their first game after club owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was killed in a helicopter crash one week ago, beating Cardiff 1-0 thanks to a goal from Demarai Gray on Saturday.

Warming up in tribute t-shirts marked ‘The Boss, Khun Vichai, you will be forever in our hearts’ and wearing black armbands, the Foxes summoned the strength to return to action.

Over 3,000 Foxes fans made the 300-mile round trip and also wore tributary t-shirts, as the club united to pay their respects to a man that touched the lives of so many.

In the 55th minute, Ben Chilwell raced down the left wing and delivered into Gray, who side-footed home on his first Premier League start since mid-September. He was shown a yellow card by referee Lee Probert for revealing a “For Khun Vichai” message under his shirt.

Leicester manager Claude Puel said, “It was a normal thing for us to have the players and staff for the minute’s silence, it is important for solidarity and we want to give our best for our chairman, step by step, to continue his work.

“It is a family and I think Vichai with his warmth, it is a mission to keep this way, and put in place a project that we must try to continue. When we saw the flowers in front of the stadium – it is a family and the feeling that our chairman gave this club.”

Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel: “That was a tough game not just on the pitch but mentally. There are a lot of exhausted people in there now but I am proud of this team and the club, the way everyone has handled themselves has been unbelievable. We were very lucky to know Khun Vichai.”

Liverpool were forced to settle for a point as they played out a 1-1 draw with Arsenal at Emirates Stadium, but that’s enought to put them to top of the standings temporarily, one point ahead of Manchester City, who host Southampton on Sunday.

The first half ended without a goal, despite chances for both sides – with Roberto Firmino and Virgil van Dijk hitting the woodwork for the Reds and Sadio Mane having an effort ruled out for offside.

James Milner thumped Jurgen Klopp’s side into the lead midway through the second period when he fired Bernd Leno’s punch from Mane’s cross into the back of the net.

However, Alexandre Lacazette equalised for the Gunners on 82 minutes by lifting the ball over Alisson Becker from an angle after being played into space on the left of Liverpool’s area.

Manchester United fought back from one goal down to beat Bournemouth 2-1 at the Vitality Stadium as second-half substitute Marcus Rashford scored the winner in injury time.

Rashford’s goal, three days after his 21st birthday, was the decisive moment in the match after Anthony Martial’s equaliser 10 minutes before half-time had cancelled out Callum Wilson’s effort.

Tottenham held off a late revival from Wolves to win 3-2 in an evening game.

Harry Kane fired the Spurs to a 3-0 lead after 62 minutes after Erik Lamela and Lucas Moura had earlier struck twice in three minutes to put the north London side in charge.

Wolves made it 3-2 with two goals both from the penalty spot.

Elsewhere, Newcastle United claimed its first league win this season by beating Watford 1-0. Everton defeated Brighton 3-1 and West Ham United downed Burnley 4-2.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *