Noxious fumes from the container caused eye and throat irritation, and dizziness to the students of Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya and Government Girls Senior Secondary School, Number 2, in Tughlaqabad area, in the morning. Around 30 students had fainted.
After first aid, many of the students were released.
“Over 310 students were treated at different hospitals after Chloro (methyl) diphenylsilane, a chemical, leaked from a container depot here in Tughlaqabad,” a senior police officer told IANS.
“We are investigating to see how the chemical leaked,” the officer said, adding, “The chemical was imported to India.”
The officer said a case is being registered in the matter.
The students were rushed to four nearby hospitals — Batra Hospital, Apollo Hospital, Majeedia Hospital and ESI Hospital.
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia who visited the hospitals, said he had spoken to the doctors and the condition of the students was “normal”.
He also said the District Magistrate has been ordered to probe the leak.
“I have spoken to the Union Health Minister. He has set up a team of doctors under AIIMS to ensure care in case of any emergency,” he told reporters.
He announced that schools in the area were ordered shut for the day, and exams postponed. Sisodia said the situation would be reviewed on Monday.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal later visited Majeedia Hospital.
Delhi Fire Service received a distress call about the gas leak at 7.43 a.m. Three fire tenders were rushed to the spot, an officer said.
Seventeen ambulances from the Centralised Accident and Trauma Services (CATS) were also rushed to the schools.