Washington, Sep 18 (IANS) US President Donald Trump has revealed five finalists to replace John Bolton as the next national security advisor.
Speaking to reporters on Air Force One, Trump on Tuesday said he has narrowed the candidates to five persons, including Robert O’Brien, a senior hostage affairs official at the State Department; Rick Waddell, a former deputy national security advisor and Keith Kellogg, the national security advisor for Vice President Mike Pence, Xinhua reported.
The other two candidates are Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, the undersecretary for nuclear security at the Department of Energy and Fred Fleitz, Bolton’s former chief of staff.
Trump said last week that he planned to announce a new national security advisor this week. On Thursday, he told reporters at the White House that there were 15 candidates who wanted the job.
John Bolton, the third US national security advisor during the Trump administration, ended his tenure last Tuesday, as his relationship with Trump frayed over policy differences.
Bolton’s exit has rid the Trump administration of one of its most hawkish figures, who actively pushed for tougher stance in dealing with Iran, the Taliban and others.