UAE, Bahrain welcome decision to remove Sudan from US terror list

FILE – In this Aug. 25, 2020 file photo, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stands with Sudanese Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, the head of the ruling sovereign council, in Khartoum, Sudan. Sudan’s interim government has been splintered by intense pressure from the United States to normalize relations with Israel as the Trump administration seeks to burnish the president’s statesmanlike credentials ahead of the November election. (Sudanese Cabinet via AP, File)

JEDDAH (RAHNUMA): The UAE and Bahrain both welcomed on Tuesday the US removing Sudan from a list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Donald Trump said a day earlier he would remove Sudan from the list after the country agreed to pay compensation to US victims of terror attacks.

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said it supported all efforts to remove Sudan from the list.

The ministry added it that it supported everything that “contributes to strengthening Sudan’s security, stability and prosperity.”

The Bahraini foreign ministry also said it welcomed the decision, calling it a positive step.

Sudan’s central bank said on Tuesday it had transferred $335 million in compensation to the US.

The money is for victims of the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, which were conducted by Al-Qaeda while Osama bin Laden was based in Sudan.

 

Sudan is ruled by a transitional government installed after the downfall of President Omar Al-Bashir last year.

The removal from the terror list will allow Sudan to access international loans and aid to revive its economy.

Show More

Related Articles

Close